Sunday, September 14, 2014

Homemade BBQ Potato Chips


Are you a snack food addict? I am. I love salty snacks... pretzels, nuts, and chips. Always chips,..

I'm ashamed to even tell you how many bags we currently have in our house (lets just say more than 2 and less than 20... Fair?)

Plus, chips go with everything. With a sandwich... on a sandwich... with dip... without. All delicious. My favorite types of chips though? Extra crunchy kettle chips. They are slightly greasy, super crunch-tastic, and packed with tons of flavor. Maui onion and salt and vinegar remain in my top favorites but the best kind has to be BBQ.


When I finally purchased a mandolin I knew homemade chips would be the first on my list. They are fairly easy to make and taste so much better than the bagged version... I'm ashamed to say that these chips disappeared the second they cooled down enough to touch (and possibly not even then). So. Addicting.

You Will Need:
2 large Russet potatoes
Vegetable Oil for Frying
BBQ seasoning

Recipe for BBQ seasoning:
1 Tablespoons Paprika
1 1/2 Tablespoons Chili powder
1/2 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1/2 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
3/4 Tablespoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar


  1. Combine ingredients for the BBQ season in a bowl, whisk until combined and set aside (you will have left overs that you might use for your next BBQ dish).
  2. Scrub the potatoes under cold water until clean, dry off, and slice on your mandolin on food processor on the thinnest setting.
  3. In a large bowl, place the slices of potatoes and fill with cold water until completely covered, set aside for 5-10 minutes.
  4. Drain in a colander and transfer potatoes to paper towels to remove excess water.
  5. Heat oil in a large pot, I used my dutch oven, until it reaches 325 degrees.
  6. Fry the potatoes in batches (about 10 slices at a time) until golden brown... 5-10 minutes. 
  7. Line a large cookie sheet with paper towels and remove cooked chips onto it. Sprinkle liberally with BBQ seasoning. Continue this process until all chips are crispy and in your belly... I mean, seasoned.


Enjoy this addicting snack... I dare you to eat just one.




*Recipe adapted from The Lazy Mom's Cooking Blog (check her out... She makes the BEST food!)

No comments :

Post a Comment