Sunday, January 13, 2013

Carrot Cake Jam


I am obsessing....My new found addictions are scones and jam...

I'm really trying to refrain myself, otherwise my blog would be COVERED in anything scone and jam related. But, do you know what's perfect? They go together! Scones+jam is like Britney Spears and Pop music, or Mark Wahlberg and literally ANY movie he makes in appearance in...it's just meant to be!

I'm devoting one post a month to a jam and scone recipe, at least until I move passed that obsession...

So please share any amazing recipes you might have for either on my blog and I will definitely pin it! I'm ADDICTED I tell you...

Now on to this delicious jam! The recipe is from the blog One Hundred Dollars a Month and I'm beginning to think she shares my jam addiction... I might be adding a few more of her recipes to my repertoire (Hello, Meyer Lemon marmalade!)

Carrot Cake Jam:
(this recipe makes 7-"1/2 pint" or 3.5-"1 pint jars")

1 can (20-ounces) crushed pineapple, with liquid
1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped pears, I used Bartlett
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
a pinch of cloves
1 package ( 1 3/4 ounce) powdered fruit pectin
6 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil, remove from heat and place your jars and lids in the water. Let them soak in the boiling water until ready to use.

In a 6-quart sauce pot, combine the first 7 ingredients (up until the cloves). Cook over medium heat until the mixture is to a boil, cover and drop the temperature to low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the pears are tender. Make sure to stir the mixture occasionally so no sticking occurs. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the pectin.

Bring mixture to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Slowly stir in the sugar and return to a boil for 1 minute. Stir as to not allow any boil over. While this is boiling remove your jars and lids, using tongs to help you, and turn upside down on a dish towel to dry. Dry them off more by hand if necessary.

When the minute is up, skim off any foam that has formed at the top with a metal spoon. Immediately ladle the jam into the prepared jars and cover and lid them.

Let the jars cool to room temperature before placing in the fridge. If you have a canner, you can drop them in and boil for 10 minutes to seal them. By leaving my jars to cool at room temperature they sealed on their own (to check this, press the middle, if it springs back the jars are not sealed and need to be permanently kept in the fridge, if they are sealed you can store them in a cool place in your cupboard).

The jam is amazing on a toasted English muffin with a light coat of cream cheese! Enjoy!






No comments :

Post a Comment