Monday, May 14, 2012

Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake


I am 100% sure that life requires some decadence from time to time.

Especially on an amazing holiday like, I don't know, Mother's Day?

I have no problem making my own cake (especially after my boys made me breakfast AND dinner).

Just make sure you serve this cake for a crowd.. Unless you don't mind ending up with 5 lbs of pure chocolate cake all to yourself.

Yep... Neither do I.

My husband compared it to the Mother-load cake from Claim Jumper. But better.

How apropos....

For the Cake:
(Recipe from Williams Sonoma)

1 cup cocoa powder, sifted plus more for dusting the bundt pan
3/4 bag of semisweet chocolate chips (or 7 ounces)
1 cup boiling water
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter (or 20 whopping tablespoons)
2 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
5 eggs, lightly beaten
4 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips

For the Ganache:
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup heavy cream

Make sure all of your ingredients are room temperature.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease your bundt pan then dust with cocoa powder, tap the excess out.

In a bowl, combine the 1 cup of cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Add in the boiling water and whisk until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth and well blended. Set aside.

In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside also.

In the bowl on a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and cream, around 45 seconds. Reduce the speed to low and add in the brown sugar, beat until combined. Increase the speed back up to medium and continue beating the mixture until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Make sure to stop the mixture occasionally to scrape down the sides. Add in the beaten eggs, a little at a time, beating until incorporated making sure to scrape down the sides again. Beat in the vanilla until incorporated.

Reduce the speed to low and add in the flour mixture, alternately with the sour cream. Always beginning and ending with the flour. You want to beat the mixture just until no lumps remain. Slowly pour in the chocolate-cocoa melted mixture until no white streaks are visible. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips.





Pour the batter into your prepared Bundt pan (or sit down on the couch with a spoon... just kidding... kind of)

Spread the batter higher up the sides than in the middle. Place on the center rack in the oven with a large cookie sheet on the rack underneath to catch any drippings.

It will happen.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 60 to 65 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let the cake cool upright for 15 minutes. Loosen up the sides with a knife than invert cake onto your serving tray. Let the cake cool completely, at least an hour.


Meanwhile start the ganache: In a heatproof bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. In a small saucepan over medium heat bring the cream to just a simmer. Immediately pour the cream over the chocolate and butter and whisk until the mixture is completely melted and smooth.

Drizzle the ganache over the top of the cooled cake, allowing the ganache to drop down the sides. Let cake stand so ganache may harden, at least 15 minutes.


I'm at a loss for words. Just make this cake... Please?

10 comments :

  1. That looks sooo good! Love chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture is drool-worthy. Totally. Must have this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dorothy it was quite amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really yummy! Popping over from Michelle's Tasty Creations linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am 100% sur that I would eat that entire thing, even though it's ginormous! Or I'd just take a spoon to the ganache:)

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh.my.heavens! This looks wonderful. I can't wait to make this for my family, I mean my self. ;) So glad I popped in from Creative Thursday. Happy to be your newest follower. I would love to invite you to come party with us sometime on Fabulous Friday. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh girl! I could use a slice of this lovely cake right about now! Pinned and will be trying oh so soon! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks absolutely WONDERFUL! MMM...bundt cake! We can't wait to try it!! Thanks for sharing your ideas on "Strut Your Stuff" Saturday! We hope to see you again! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just tried this and WOW, my batter filled my standard bunt pan right to the top (I wonder if anyone else had that problem because it definitely overflowed. I did put a pan under my cake with tinfoil down so it was an easy clean up).

    I just substituted sour cream for vanilla Greek yogurt because that's what I had at hand. And I used a little less brown sugar. It's cooling now but it looks like it came out great and will look super yummy. I'm going to put a Nutella ganache on top and see how it turns out. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete