Sunday, August 21, 2011

Birthday Cake!

HAPPY birthday to me!! nothing says a great birthday more than good food. So I of course decided to take on my own birthday cake and I found an amazing and super easy recipe with a wonderful result!!

The cake is from a Paula Deen recipe and is a Deep Dark Chocolate Truffle Cake. Crispy outside and a fudgy truffle inside... i was in heaven!

First you will use a 9 inch spring form pan lined with parchment paper. I also used a little bit of cooking spray just to guarnatee no sticking.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. While the oven is heating melt 8 oz semi sweet chocolate (I always use Ghiradelli) and 4 oz of dark (for this I used 60% cocoa) in a microwaveable safe bowl with 2 sticks of butter (gotta love Ms. Deen!!!!) in 30 second increments until smooth and shiny.

Mix 1 1/4 cups sugar into the melted chocolate.

Now separate 6 eggs, whites in 1 bowl and yolks in the other. Add the yolks, one at a time, into the chocolate and sugar mixture until combined.

Take the egg whites and mix (I used my stand mixer but a hand mixer will work perfect) until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
Something like this!!
Then gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture just until combined.
Pour into your ready pan and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
Let cool in the pan for another hour remove cake and cool in the fridge for ATLEAST 4 hours (its worth the wait I promise you!!)
During this time I whipped up an easy raspberry sauce combining a bag of frozen raspberries, a 1/4 cup of sugar and a tablespoon of lemon juice simmering until thickened.

The end result was heaven on a fork.... creamy rich fudge cake with the tart raspberry sauce was like heaven on my tongue...and with only around 4 ingredients its by far one of the best birthday presents I have received!! haha





No comments :

Post a Comment